Rebecca Nicholas, clinic director and principle Chiropractor, at Back 2 Balance, Hove, gives her tops tips for surviving Christmas in a 12 day countdown.
Travelling to friends and family
At Christmas time we tend to try to pack in everything. It also seems like it’s the one time of year we visit everybody. Why do we do this? Why not make the effort seeing people throughout the year? However, if you are travelling there are several things to think about when planing the event.
- Obviously safety first, pack anything you may need incase of an accident but more likely are problems with snow and ice
- Ensure a healthy sitting posture- if you are not sure what this is, ask your Back 2 Balance Chiropractor
- Have small (5min) but frequent breaks when on a long journey > 2 hours
- Do not stress at the wheel-is important both for concentration but also posture
- Don’t strain your neck forwards too close to the steering wheel, keep your head back on the headrest, keep shoulder blades down not hunched up around your shoulders
- My final tip is have a good lumbar support in the car (if you don’t put a cushion or rolled up towel behind you) and maybe if your lucky enjoy the heated seats.
Your back does not like sitting for more than 30mins, fact! So prevent the need for a chiropractic adjustment, and plan your trip with good posture and breaks.