Did you know that Carol used to run her own catering business, which may be the reason she is sooo good at baking!
- Line an 8”square baking tin with baking parchment
- Melt 5oz of butter with 5oz of dark chocolate
- Whisk 4 eggs, 1tsp vanilla essence with 7oz caster sugar and 7oz soft brown sugar
- Whisk the chocolate mixture into the egg/sugar mixture and then fold in 5oz plain flour.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and top with approx. 4oz dark chocolate chunks
- Bake for 30 – 35mins at 170 degrees
- Slice when cold, dust with icing sugar – makes 10 slices
LEMON DRIZZLE SPONGE CAKE
- Line 2 x 7” round cake tins with baking parchment
- Whisk together: 4 eggs, 8oz self-raising flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 8oz caster sugar, 8oz soft margarine, grated zest and juice of half a lemon.
- Bake for 25 -30 mins at 160 -170 degrees
- Turn out and cool on wire rack
- Make lemon butter cream – mix 2oz butter, 5oz icing sugar and with some lemon zest and a little lemon juice. Chill in fridge.
- Sandwich the two sponges together with a layer of lemon butter cream and a layer of lemon curd.
- Then drizzle with lemon icing (Icing sugar mixed with lemon juice)