Do you suffer with tension headaches?
Experienced a headache after a stressful day? Do you just put it down to stress or dehydration? Why do we get this type of headaches and how can I help to ease them?
What you’re feeling is a tension headache which is caused by a combination of stress, poor posture and repetitive activities.
When these headaches hit you will feel a tight pressing band around your head and pain starting in the shoulders travelling up the back of the head. They can last for anywhere between 30 minutes to a whole week or sometimes even longer. Although they usually cause a dull pressing pain it can become very intense and leave you feeling unable to carry on with your normal activities.
So, what causes this?
- Looking down at mobile phones
- Working in an office, sitting in front of a computer
- Driving for hours without rests
- Clenching of your jaw
- Playing video games
These are just some examples of activities which overstretch the muscles of your neck and back, increasing your susceptibility to tension headaches.
Chiropractors and osteopaths can help restore normal movements of your joints and release tension within the muscles but there is also plenty that you can do to help yourself!
1) Minimise your stress levels. Try to identify what stresses in your life may be contributing to your headaches.
2) Correct your posture at work. Ensure your computer is level with your eyes to prevent slouching and overstressing your muscles.
3) Take breaks. Limit time on video games and using your phone. If you need to drive long distances take regular breaks from sitting at the wheel.
4) Seek chiropractic/osteopathic care. We can help to relieve tension and stiffness in the joints and muscles of your neck and back. We also teach exercises and stretches which can easily be done at home during and after your care to prevent and relieve these tension headaches.
If you are suffering from tension headaches, and have not yet got assessed by one of the team here at Back 2 Balance, please feel free to call 01273 206868 or email us email@example.com.